Re: [TenTec] OT: TS-990S review in absentia

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: TS-990S review in absentia
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:38:23 -0400
Yes... indeed.

I recently acquired an Orion II to accompany my Omni VII. Unfortunately I had to sell a nice TT Jupiter, my TT RX-320D and some other stuff I liked to swing it. It seemed a more cost-effective move than buying an $8000 TS-990s. (I also have the TS-590s, so now I own several rigs in the top tier of the Sherwood list.)

Consequently, I feel I have a pretty strong line up, and can wait until TT reveals its next big deal. Don't tell anyone Oddly I prefer the Omni VII, because it produces such great results with the least effort and complexity.

My bottom line: Would I really have $5300 more fun with a TS-990s? Would I REALLY make substantially more DX contacts with it? If not, then I have struck a good bargain - cost-benefit wise.

As for the timing of a TS-990s review ... I can understand the editorial decision to wait - it will be a major piece, and having waited over a year to see my own one page piece appear in QST this month, and after seeing how much editorial effort goes into producing even simple piece - I am not surprised we continue to wait for a review of the TS-990. Perhaps they are favoring reviews of less expensive models in the short term - while many hams are "interested" in the 990, I doubt they will actually sell many of them. Who knows... but I was really impressed with how much care and attention they paid to even a short piece. I think Joel Hallas and Larry Wolfgang work pretty hard at it.

Just MY take.