Re: [TenTec] Model 708 refreshment

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 708 refreshment
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:53:49 -0400
Yep... WD-40 can work miracles on most labels, but I did not want to get oil into the grooves of the plastic frame around the label. So...

On one suggestion, I tried a heat.

        No go.

I tried my old favorite, Naphtha - Heck even Martin Guitar says it is OK to remove sticky stuff from a nitrocellulose finish.

        No go.

So I tried good old rubbing alcohol... lots of it... kept it good and wet...

        AND VOILA!!!  IT WORKED !!

As long as it stayed wet, the film lifted up and off.

At first I thought it was part of the label, itself, but as I thought about it, and with the encouragement of Bob W2PNJ, I came to suspect it was original protective plastic film, which had become petrified and hermetically sealed to the label itself, so I started working on it, and the alcohol did the trick, quickly and easily. Go figure.

                NOW... LOOKS NEARLY NEW.

SO... a happy ending to my story! Thanks guys for looking over my shoulder, especially Bob W2PNJ, who encouraged me to take a chance on it.

Say ... Anybody want a lovely Model 708 for cheap?
Make me an offer  (I am a headset junkie, so probably
will never use this on the air, myself.)

The sun it out... the humming birds have found my feeder... my microphone looks good -- Yes it IS a good day in the neighborhood.