Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:03:03 -0400

On 7/28/2013 4:35 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
James,

In your case, where you have the coax to the antenna buried underground, it
actually already has an effective choke on it.

The problem when discussing the 43 ft. vertical is, ...There isn't
going to be a single balun or unun that does both jobs best.

        Agreed.

The 4:1 is OK for the high bands but a 1:1 would be better for the low
bands.  Even better is Phil Salas' (AD5X) solution for loading coils at the
base, then switching them in and out.

        Or... as a quirky antenna guru once suggested...

        ADD MORE WIRE!     ;-)

Why am I saying the 4:1 is OK here, when I just said in another post it is
better to always use 1:1?
Simple, before we were talking about openwire feedline, now we are talking
about coax feedline.

                Understood.

I think the biggest problem most people have including me before I started
reading the right material on this subject, is we want to buy one device
called "balun" and have it do all jobs, no matter what.   You can't drive
your 4 kids to the soccer match with a Corvette, but it's sure a nice
automobile!

        YES!

        I would love to have a different
        balun/transformer/matching network for each band,
        tailored to that band, and have a remote switching
        system for it.  Unfortunately it would probably
        need a large dog house size shelter for house
        it out in the yard.

        Or, maybe a hybrid approach.  I could match 80 m
        and the very high bands in the yard, and match 40m
`       and 20m in the house, as they are easiest to match
        in any case.  The switch mechanism would be the
        complication.

        I gotta say, however, at 33 ft it makes a swell 40m
        ground plane antenna.  I should not mention it here,
        but I often serve as Net Control for the TS-590s
        owner's net on Wednesday evenings and I can hear,
        and be heard by, nearly everyone.  That is gratifying
        as I recall my earliest days when so many hams told
        me to come back when I got a REAL ANTENNA!   That
        was very discouraging but it motivated me to figure
        out what would actually work in my small back yard.