Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 02:01:59 -0400
James wrote:

Under your theory, CS, then it means anyone who buys all brand new TenTec equipment directly from the factory, has no right to expect his radio and amp to be within specification and operating properly.

The equipment either operates properly, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it is the responsibility of the operator not to transmit with it until it is fixed. "Rights" and expectations have nothing to do with it.

A better analogy would be to expect every owner of every car to understand how it works, and to be able to operate all the electronic and computerized diagnostic equipment necessary to tune and repair the most exotic and esoteric functions of the engine.

I disagree. I said it is only reasonable to expect hams to have basic monitoring equipment and skills to verify that their transmitters are operating properly, similar to drivers having and knowing how to use a speedometer. Hams don't necessarily need to be able to redesign their transmitters, or troubleshoot or fix them, as your analogy suggests -- and I never said they did. They just need to be able to recognize improper operation and stop transmitting until the problem has been fixed. And yes, IMO anyone who won't take at least this much responsibility for his or her signal should stick to the CB bands and not be allowed on the ham bands.

I should be considered a good ham if I take appropriate steps to make sure a properly qualified and trained technician to check and make sure it is up to snuff.

I agree, as long as it's done often enough to ensure that it does not go out-of-snuff unnoticed between checks. If the operator can't tell whether it's working correctly or not (and obviously many hams can't), this may need to be reasonably frequently. (Note that the people Rick was talking about do not do even this much -- they just open the boxes and press the Tx button. THAT is not enough to be considered a good ham, IMO.)

Best regards,

Charles