Re: [TenTec] Orlando Hamcation-Ten Tec is absent

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orlando Hamcation-Ten Tec is absent
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:26:48 +0100
To be honest, I think the only ones who make any money at the hamfests are
the organizers (or rather, those who rent out the buildings), and the people
selling at the flea markets.

Most commercial booths are lucky if they can even recover their costs.
The company I work for is a solid, profitable company, but we lose money
every time we attend a Hamfest!

Our version of Dayton here in Europe is called "HAM RADIO" and is held each
year in Friedrichshafen.
I spoke to many vendors in 2012.  We all felt our business was down about 10
to 15% compared to 2011.
At the same time, the booth prices keep going up.
The cost for electricity keeps going up.
The cost of gasoline (well diesel for our truck) keeps going up.
The hotel prices are going up.
Yet the business at the Hamfest is going down.

The INTERNET has basically killed the need for hamfests, except for flea
markets, contest university, and the various presentations.

73
Rick, DJ0IP