[TenTec] Omni VII Current Draw

To: <Ten-Tec-Omni-VII@yahoogroups.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Current Draw
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:23:50 -0500
I recently received a recent e-mail pertaining to the current draw of the Omni VII. Thought I'd share the exchange as others might have the same question.

<snip>
Hello Bob!
Always enjoy the technical discussions on the various TenTec grouPS and am amazed at the patience and diplomacy you demonstrate during what otherwise could be difficult exchanges. I know we have discussed the OMNI VII current vs. power out on the various bands. I admit that I have lost those e-mail exchanges and wonder if you have a matrix of power / current drawn by band that you could send my way. I seem to have rather high current, with reasonable SWR and would like to run a similar matrix on my 07.
<snip>

My response and findings:

This morning I did a quick run through the bands and noted the amp meter on the power supply.

160M - 16.5A
80M  -  19.2A
60M  -  19.5A
40M  -  17.5A
30M  -  18.0A
20M  -  19.2A
17M  -  20.5A
15M  -  16.7A
12M  -  20.8A
10M  -  17.8A
6M  -   19.8A

These measurements were made as my station is configured, thus the output of the Omni VII goes through a 2 position coax switch. From there through the Centurion amp input. From the output of the Centurion {The power meter is on the line between the Centurion amp and the tuner selector switch} to another coax switch that selects one of 2 tuners. One of the 4 outputs of the 238 tuner has an external 50 ohm load that was used for these measurements. Hence, there are several switches, the path through the amp although it was off, various cables and such. Noted that these do actually contribute to a bit of loss in power. Power output on all bands was noted to be ~90 watts +/- 5 watts. From this info I can see that the radio might draw some ~22 amps on some bands and load configuration.

As I recall, the last time I did a RF transmit power alignment on the bench the radio produced 100 to 105 watts on all bands. This was done with the Bird 43P and a 50 ohm load and only short coax jumpers to connect the required pieces of equipment.

Time for a commercial: - I have a Diawa CN-801 HP power meter that I have found compares very favorably with my Bird 43P and a known accurate slug. Actually I like the Diawa better than the Bird 43P for station use as the Diawa has peak hold and a couple of other nice features not found on the Bird meter.

Hope this helps.

73
Bob, K4TAX