Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??

To: "Ten-Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??
From: "denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:57:52 -0700
A followup on my previous post...I forgot I did the below a few years back.

One thing I did in the past was to use my homebrew 35 amp power supply with a blocking diode to feed a couple of golf cart batteries in series. Blocking diode was the common silicon variety so would some voltage drop between the power supply output and battery B+ input. I adjusted the power supply to what I wanted at the batteries. The voltage drop across the blocking diode really worked well for me as it would drop the voltage down just the right amount to keep from cooking the batteries.

I used a batterybooster on the output of the batteries with some ferrite beads on the B+ cable. No hash at all.

One thing I did with the homebrew supply is I put the crowbar clamp across the filter capacitor before the regulator board, rather than the output of the power supply. Seems to me that if the clamp is on the output of the power supply, and it fires enough, the regulator and pass transistors are gonna fry.