Re: [TenTec] Radial Research

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radial Research
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 23:54:04 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
Whoa, not so fast, as this is how the poor
"ham lore" gets started and passed around.

Source:
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2011/02/comments-on-elevated-radials.html

"... During the experimental measurements on the
elevated 4-radial system I noticed that the
results were very sensitive to even small
changes or asymmetry in the radials. To get
results equal to 60 radials on the ground,
I had to carefully verify that the currents
in all four radials had the same amplitude
and phase and that the radial current phase
and amplitude sum agreed with the current in
the base of the vertical. In short, I had to
be a fanatic with the radial layout details! ..."
The emphasis above added by me.

I suggest a careful reading of his entire
letter to QST for even more details.

How many 'hams' are educated to understand,
have the needed equipment, and are able to
make the level of measurements he mentions?

Elevated radials MAY offer a "better" option,
but to make a broad statement as below is not
accurate nor easily repeatable in practice.

N6LF does an excellent job in presenting his
results, let us do the same as to how we both
understand, and share the data with others.

73 de Billy, AA4NU