Re: [TenTec] ORION II and Elecraft P3 panadpter?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II and Elecraft P3 panadpter?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:21:01 -0700
On 4/29/2012 5:21 AM, David Perrin wrote:
> Can anyone redirect me to the location to pick off the i.f.? One side of the
> signal is ground which I have taken on the outside circuit trace around that
> area on the board.

Ground is not ground is not ground.  There is considerable inductance
reactance at 9 MHz between where you're trying to pick up signal and the
chassis. The RIGHT way to do this to run coax between where you're
taking the signal to a chassis mounted connector,  connecting the shield
to common on the circuit board close to where you've taken the signal.
Then run to the P3 from that chassis-mounted connector.

If you open up a Ten Tec amp, you will see exactly this technique for
both input and output.

73, Jim K9YC