Re: [TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:29:07 -0600
Communications audio isn't full and robust. It has a limited bandwidth
by the IF filters and proper audio to limit you hearing atmospheric and
circuit noise, hum, and rumble. Adding bandwidth to any of these reduces
the S/N of the desired signal and allows you to filter more atmospheric
and circuit noise and QRM with your ears.

I often use a passive low pass filter on the speaker to reduce filter
leakthrough and audio state high frequency noise outside the IF filter
pass band. One I use is described at:
http://www.geraldj.networkiowa.com/papers/speakerfilter.pdf
Its really handy for cleaning out DSP artifacts.

73, Jerry, K0CQ