Re: [TenTec] 6 meter transverter & jupiter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6 meter transverter & jupiter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:21:42 -0600
In the US there's Down East Microwave Inc, now in Florida,
www.downeastmicrowave.com who makes fine products, both kit an assembled.

SSB Electronics in Pennsylvania www.ssbusa.com imports Swedish products.
Then there's Kuhne Electronics (DB6NT) who makes transverters for 6m
through at least 122 GHz in kit or assembled.
http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/

These companies also sell amplifiers and preamps and sequencers.

The Tentec transverters were the lowest priced ever on the market.
Elecraft is about the most expensive.

The Tentec transverters (I have the version with 2m IF) uses a really
hot receive transistor, but has so much loss in using an ordinary diode
for switching that its NF is marginal for good 6m weak signal use. But
it works. And there are some other things that have annoyed me,
including the fact that the transmitter stage bias depends on the drive
level but it it was hard keyed by the station controls it has enough
less distortion its detectable on the air. Maybe I should work on mine
and put it up for sale, but I don't have the time right now. It would
work better with hard keying, instead of RF sensing, and with an
external antenna relay.

73, Jerry, K0CQ