[TenTec] Band Decoder for Omni VI

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Band Decoder for Omni VI
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:56:21 -0500
Allan K7GT asked about using the "serial data" from an Omni VI for band
decoding,
apparantly for antenna switching.  The Omni  VI band data shares the db25
connector
with the serial control data and the remote encoder.  The band data is not part
of the
serial control data.  The band data basically mimics the internal switching of
low pass
filters, if I recall correctly (manual not here at work); the WARC band's LPFs
are
shared with some of the traditional bands, so the band data output won't work.

However, any logging program worth it's salt, from old standards such as CT, TR,
and NA through newer programs such as N1MM and TR4W, provide band data
on the computer LPT derived from the exact frequency the radio is tuned to. I
have
used this feature for many years, and through changes of rigs that have
different
band data output formats and polarities, such as the OMNI VI and Orion.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ