Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 85, Issue 11

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 85, Issue 11
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chasshaw@leaco.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:14:03 +0000
Doug, W9PN wrote:
I would like to use the receive antenna input for a 160/80m low noise receive antenna input. How much built in RF protection / switching does the Orion II have on this input? In other words how much input protection do I need on the receive only antenna to prevent RF damage to the Orion due to RF energy from my transmitting antenna feeding back into the receiver via the receive antenna input? How is the use of a separate receive antenna best handled with a single Orion II station?

Doug,
I had a problem with my Orion along these lines because four of my Beverage antennas pass beneath my 80, 40, 20 and 15 meter transmit antennas. I had major problems on 40 meters when running the Titan III. Never damaged the Orion, but it was shutting down and doing other very strange, undesirable things. I bought a ICE receiver protection assembly, see: http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter at the very bottom of that page. Mine is the model #197, but any of them would prevent problems for you. Now there are no problems or worries here running full legal power on any band--whether or not I am using any of my six Beverages for receiving. Perhaps with a smaller RX antenna or running lower power, you would not need any extra receiver protection. Good luck. The low bands are addicting but fun!

73,
Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM

13:29:00