Re: [TenTec] External filter for Triton 540

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] External filter for Triton 540
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 01:05:43 -0400
In your quest for a filter, I suggest that for the 540 to "sound like a
Ten-Tec" you really need an audio filter designed for the rig.  Here's why:
The AGC voltage in the 540 is derived from audio.  The filter designed for
the 540 is inserted in the receiver's circuitry before the AGC sampling.
This means that if the filter is switched into the circuit, signals that it
removes no longer pump up the AGC.  An audio filter in a speaker, etc., just
can't do the trick with that rig's design -- it'll help but isn't a good
substitute.

About crystal filters:  Perhaps it is my ears but the sound of CW through
the audio filter is far superior to me than without that filter.  Given a
choice, I'd opt for the audio filter in a heartbeat.

73, Mike N4NT