Re: [TenTec] not quite OT: outboard DSPs

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] not quite OT: outboard DSPs
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:55:49 -0600
I've been following this thread and was interested in the comments regarding
the JPS NIR units. I had one (but can't remember which one) which I used for
several years. I "up-graded" it when a new ROM was offered.  I enjoyed using
it but was frustrated by the processing delay when operating moderate to
high speed CW QSK.   I sold the unit to AC9S and later bought an AOR TDF-370
after trying the unit at AOR's booth at Dayton.

I believe AOR has NOT advertised the AOR TDF-370 as well as it deserves OR
they have not gotten the attention the unit deserves. The one feature of the
AOR TDF-370 that I really like is its CW (it has both CW and SSB DSP modes)
STEREO processing with 450 Hz to 800 Hz center frequency AND 300 Hz, 200 Hz,
OR 100 Hz bandwidth. (High freq in left ear. Low freq in right ear) Set the
center freq to your radio's CW offset and
easily zero beat the station you want to work when you hear the CF in
both ears.  Or if the DX is weak with lots of cops, drop the BW to
100 HZ, center the DX and note the signals that are more than 50 HZ
higher or lower are gone!

The AOR TDF-370 also has four different DSP schemes for SSB and two more for
CW. Plus a DSP speech processor and "TTY decode". The CW "Stereo" mode was what
hooked me and is the tool I employ often.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705