Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....
From: "JT Croteau" <jt.n1ese@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:08:26 -0500
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Ten Tec has a much broader company structure which has given them the
> stability to survive in ham radio while Heath is gone, Collins,
> Hallicrafters, and
> other well known names.

True but for how much longer?  To be honest, I'm kind of surprised
they have lasted as long as they have.  I'm glad they are still around
but, now that they no longer have a sub $1000 rig, can they survive
selling only high-end rigs and a few kits?  The Jupiter at $1600 is
not what I would call an entry level rig and, quite frankly, if I had
$1600 to spend on a rig, I'd probably buy a K3 before a Jupiter.
Granted, the base K3 is not a 100W rig but I could slowly upgrade it
over time.  I have never used either but just by being a K2 owner and
reading the specs and reviews of both the K3 and Jupiter, I tend to
think the K3-10 is better than a Jupiter.

Hopefully, TT's military and tooling business is strong enough to keep
the ham business floating.  I fear the economy is going to get worse
before it gets any better.  If ham radio was their only business, I
fear they'd be gone already.

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE