Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base
From: "Ron Zond" <k3miy@csonline.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:05:18 -0400
Hi

I worked at a college FM station where the idea was that a simple rod in the
ground
would be the only grounding. First storm, and the remote was taken out. With
much
effort, the chief tech convinced the higer ups that a radial system made up
of 8
80 foot 0000 copper cables would work as most lightning strikes from the
ground
up. The system was installed, and lightning bolts smacked the tower with
glee.
The transmitter stayed on the air, The system is still working 30 years
later.

Ron
K3MIY