Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner

To: Jim Brown K9YC <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "info4mjs@att.net" <info4mjs@att.net>, "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna Tuner
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <mjloewensteijn@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 02:13:14 +0000
> > On Thu, 1 May 2008 23:40:37 +0000, Marinus Loewensteijn wrote:> > >A
> > balanced feed will always have the lowest losses, regardless what >
> > >antenna you hang at the end. You can even hang a vertical at the > >end
> > through a wideband balun. > > Not necessarily. There's some excellent work
> > reported in one of the > ARRL Antenna Compendiums showing that window line
> > is quite lossy > when it's wet.
That's where TwinCom comes into its own.

Baluns are only good if you have a matched (tuned) aerial whereas I am using
something that is not matched, in other words impedances are all over the
place, varying from band to band. Have yet to see a choke or balun that will
handle 25 - 5000 Ohms over the HF region.

> I suggest that you (and anyone else who thinks a balanced feedline > makes a
> balanced antenna study my RFI tutorial and the associated > Power Point on
> Coax Chokes. > > http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish > > ANY antenna without
> a REALLY GOOD common mode choke at the feedpoint > can be quite noisy on
> receive. It's not very practical to put ANY > common mode choke on a balanced
> feedline, let alone a REALLY GOOD > one. > > 73,> > Jim Brown K9YC> >

Many thanks for your input
73, Marinus, ZL2ML