Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:03:48 -0400
I would like to see all the manufacturers begin moving away from the 1980s
black "VCR" look.   I'm not sure how all that started, but we need to end it
now.

Some of the classiest-looking equipment I've seen are the Omni VI/Paragon
series, Kenwood R-599D/T-599D, and the ca. 1970 Yaesu FTdX line-up.  I
especially like anodized aluminum control panels along with back-lighting
for legends.  Ten Tec has its roots in aluminum construction practices, and
I believe the offering of a new product in anodized coloring would be a huge
hit -- done in a manner much like the vapor-ware Hilberling series.

Anodizing is a form of electrolysis where an aluminum surface becomes an
insulator.  The process allows for the mixture of various tints and the end
result is spectacular.  I have my own custom panels engraved, filled, and
anodized by a broadcast electronics vendor in Lockport, IL.  Here's a sample
of their work although the legends are not back-lighted.  Instead, I had the
legends engraved and filled.  The meter screws have since been replaced with
black-oxide metric hex types to improve the overall look.

http://216.229.20.37/images/BT-01.jpg

http://216.229.20.37/images/BT-03.jpg

In the future, my plan is to cut the lettering into openings whereby the
perimeter is filled, but the opening is back-lighted and diffused with
colored LEDs that would display the text in the dark and still produce a
visible legend in the bright daylight.   I have no doubt that with Ten Tec's
in-house metal shop, they could easily implement such a process, and do it
economically.

Paul, W9AC