[TenTec] Orion Ver 1.xxx Firmware .... revisited

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Ver 1.xxx Firmware .... revisited
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:54:25 -0800 (PST)
Well I've done it again.  For the n-th time I've gone
back to the Version 1.373b5 firmware for my Orion 565.
 I've been back and forth so many times that I can't
remember.

Yes this Beta version has some glitches.  Yes the
sweep is a problem but, as I've said before, I don't
miss it when it's turned off.  The lack of contrast on
the screen, versus Version 2.xxx. is an issue I can
live with.

So why do I continue to return to Version 1?  For me
it's plain and simple - the Version 1 firmware's noise
reduction is better for my system and my type of
operation.  This includes both SSB and CW!

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of 2 Orions so
I can't simultaneously compare the Version 1.xxx and
Version 2.xxx firmware side by side.  I'd be curious
to hear from are any Orion owners out there with a 565
AND a 566 or a pair of 565s.  Have they listened to
the 2 rigs side by side with the different generations
of firmware?  How do they compare?

Comments appreciated.

73,

Rick