Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years
From: "John Pelham" <john@radiophile.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:30:38 -0500
Several of the HV electrolytics in my Titan 425 failed two weeks ago.  At
first I looked for exact replacements for the Mallory CGS originals.  As of
last week, Digi-Key and Newark didn't have them.  Mouser listed them ($23
each) but did not have them in stock.  Allied had them in stock at $21.

I ended up deciding not to go with exact replacements but with an upgrade.
I replaced them all with 105C-rated 470uF Nichicon caps, much smaller than
the originals.  It required some small mechanical mods to make them work,
but my Titan is now humming along nicely again.  I also replaced all the 2W
carbon composition bleeder resistors (they had all drifted higher in value
by varying amounts) with 3W flameproof metal film resistors.

73,
John W1JA

John Pelham
E-mail   john@radiophile.com