Re: [TenTec] O II and headphones?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O II and headphones?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:44:31 -0600
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 09:55 -0700, Ron Castro wrote:
> The world of radio has indeed gotten more complicated and the simple
> solutions of years gone by are nothing more than nostalgia!  That being
> said, it would be nice if there was a "hidden menu" of a mechanical
> adjustment where the balance between speaker and headphone volume could be
> adjusted since every speaker, every pair of headphones and every shack
> listening situation is different.
>
> You're right about the complicated mix of audio:  CW sidetone, spot,
> SSB/CW/AM/FM from two receivers and SSB/AM/FM transmit monitor.  Split
> phones, binaural CW, EQ, etc.  We sure didn't have to worry about all that
> in the days of the Heathkit SB-100!
>
> Simply substituting the speaker output to drive the headphones would be a
> waste of some really nice features on the Orions, particularly the ability
> to split the two receivers into the left, right or both headphones.  That's
> not available on the speaker output which is simply a monaural feed.
>
> This string has brought up an important issue that has been plaguing the
> Orion's, especially the O2.  If I get a chance later today, I may send all
> of these posts to Jack Burchfield to see if it can't be fixed in a
> subsequent update.
>
> Now if we can only get that goofy S-meter problem fixed!!!!
>
>          Ron N6IE
>       www.N6IE.com

So without a software revision to make that speaker to headphone ratio
user adjustable, the user is stuck with external hardware cobbles.

Seems to me then that one could install an L-pad on the speaker to lower
its level to match the headphone level, but only if the internal audio
output amplifier has enough power to drive the speaker through the L-Pad
without excess distortion.

Or one could insert a small stereo amplifier (using its line inputs
probably) in the headphone circuit to raise the power needed for the
less sensitive headsets (Heil noise canceling) at the danger of having
too much power available under certain failure conditions leading to
hearing damage.

Or one could avoid the Heil noise canceling headset until the radio's
firmware allows setting the ratio of speaker to headphone power.

Now with all the options the radio already has, is there anyone who has
mastered each possibility or is it like my friend's FT-1000 with 96
buttons and dials and he hasn't used more than a quarter of them in the
several year he has operated the radio?
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,