Re: [TenTec] Multiple Orion Antennas

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Multiple Orion Antennas
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:14:21 -1000
Hi Robert,

I cannot tell you about the relay arrangement or power handling capacity
of any possible terminations inside the Orion. I can however suggest a
method of determining what kind of power, or voltages the
non-transmitting port of the Omni might have presented to it.

Measure it with a scope before you connect it to the Orion. You might
try with and without a 50 ohm termination Tee-d to the scope input. A 50
MHz rated scope would be good enough. Transmit on each band and each
transmit antenna with the maximum power you expect ever to use on that
band and antenna, while measuring the voltage on each of you other
antenna feed lines. Use E squared over R to calculate what power level
that voltage represents. Without the 50 ohm terminator tee-d to the
scope input, most scopes will have a 1 megohm input impedance. almost
open circuit. That would probably give you the highest voltage reading
you're going to get, and you could suppose as a worst case scenario that
voltage could also possibly (although not likely) appear across a 50 ohm
termination.

DE N6KB