Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:12:19 -0400
First, see what Service says after the burn-in.

Second, talk to the underwriter or adjuster at S&S & your homeowner's policy
once you know Service's opinion.  Level with them honestly about your
concerns.  If for no other reason, should a question come up later about any
insurance payment, you will be able to honestly state that you didn't hold
anything back.

Third, once you know how much (if any) insurance is willing to cover, talk
to Scott or someone else in Sales.  Despite the sentimental value, if I were
in your shoes, I'd be seriously considering a negotiation to trade the rig
in on a new replacement; and keep in mind that Sales can easily find out
from Service what to be concerned about.

I once had a TS-430S that had been rebuilt following a salt-water soaking; I
bought it from the ham store I worked for at the time, after the previous
owner's insurance paid for a replacement and they told us (in writing) to
keep the rig and sell it for what we had put into it in repairs, which is
how I got it very inexpensively.  The rig worked fine for many years, but
after about 5 years, it started demonstrating some odd behavior (such as
losing memories and getting funkcy when I put in a replacement battery for
the memories) that could never be explained.  My suspicion is that it might
have been residual effects of the soaking that may have been overlooked or
not quite repaired correctly way back when.  Of course, considering what I
paid for it (about $150), I certainly got my money's worth out of the radio,
so I couldn't complain.

So, under the circumstances, I'd be inclined to replace the rig.  But talk
to Service first.

73, ron w3wn