[TenTec] Lightning, Additional Info

To: "tentec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Lightning, Additional Info
From: "Jack Emerson" <w4tje@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:15:31 -0400
Tnx for all the advice guys, I appreciate the help. Several of you wanted to
know what size antenna, so here's the follow-up info: The yagi is a force 12
Monobander for 15m. The Boom is 44 feet, with 7 elements. I started out with a
tailtwister for it 10 years ago, but the torque is so great that it ripped the
ring gears out of 2 tailtwisters within a 2 month period. After that I went
with the yaesu gdx 1000, and I was happily surprised that the physically
smaller yaesu rotor turned the yagi with no problems for 10 years.
When I moved to the mountains last summer, I knew I would need something
stronger than that model yaesu, due to the high winds up here. That's why I
went with the M2. It does what it is supposed to do, but the computer
interface, programmable memories and such is just not for me. So I think I will
look into either a prop pitch or that larger yaesu.
As for the radio, I will follow the advice given and re-install the software,
and possibly even do a RAM clear. I might as well, since I can't ship it until
Monday anyhow.
By the way, on the lightning strike, the rotor cable was not disconnected. I
have a pull apart connector in the rotor line between the tower and the shack.
Because the storm was upon me when I got home from work, I elected not to go
out there and disconnect the line. Also, the radio was grounded to a strap that
runs outside to a ground rod, so that is a path as well. All other lines were
disconnected. Guess I shouldn't complain. On air 30 years now, and haven't yet
had anything completely fried from lightning.
73 de Jack W4TJE

Jack Emerson
w4tje@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.