Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 13:18:28 -0400
On 26 May 2007 at 11:32, K4IA@aol.com wrote:

> The metal diaphragm headsets I refer to probably cost no more than a  few
> dollars.  They had a cloth cord and a round metal plate the size  of the
> earpiece.  It stuck to the magnet in the  coil.   Very tinny, very low
> fidelity with a
> tendency to add a  click at the end.  That is what 2.062a sidetone sounds
> like to me.

Yep!  That describes my hamfest Trimm's perfectly.  Cheap wire band too.
The cloth covered cord is very flexible and light weight though.  That is nice.

The foam pads I put on them probably cost more than the 'phones did.   The
'phones are not at all pleasant on SSB or AM.  They work there, but just
barely.   :-)    I use my Koss 'phones for voice modes.

Jerry may be on to something regarding the sensitivity/impedance of our
headphones and the granularity of the digitized audio.  I have long
advocated placing an attenuator (or transformer) in the headphone circuit
such that when the radio is producing maximum available audio output, the
sound level in the headphones (any headphones) is just slightly louder than
you like.  In that case, we are likely to see the best audio system signal to
noise ratio possible at any volume setting.

73,

-Lee-