[TenTec] Need some General and opinions of the Omni V

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Need some General and opinions of the Omni V
From: Frank Sanfilippo <wb2tdt@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:15:21 -0800 (PST)
Good evening everyone,

  I have a chance to purchase an Omni V transceiver in relatively good shape
for a reasonable price.
  I have some questions I would like to ask of the list about this particular
rig concerning its performance, recommended options and mods and microphone
options .

  As far as I'm aware the rig is all stock and I havent had a chance to go take
another look at it and peek under the hood just yet.

  That said are there any modifications that are recommended by TT I should
have performed and are there any other simple mods that I could perform to
improve the rig?

  I plan to get back into CW and use the rig mostly for this purpose although I
will operate SSB as well.
  I have read the front end is outstanding making ideally suited for CW and DX
work. It is interesting though looking at QST review of competitors rigs of the
era they do seem to perform similar. But then again that is only a review not
real world. I also have heard of a V.9 mod and wondering if this worthwhile and
still available. Also are filters for this rig still available?

  I am also wondering what type of mike I should use with this rig, I believe
the TT mic is the 705 which is an electret. Will other low impedance mics work
well with the rig or should I stick with a TT mic?

  Thanks and Happy Holidays to all,
  Frank