[TenTec] New Radio, day whatever

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New Radio, day whatever
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:35:11 -0800 (PST)
This will be my last post under the 'new radio' subject line, unless there is a
sudden change.. There just is nothing to report that is newsworthy... The O2
has been through a couple of contests... It has not shut down or locked up...
It continues to deliver DX Q's on a regular basis... The full break in CW is
the smoothest I have operated...  I am impressed with the dsp... I still do not
use the AGC and the RF gain is my volume control, the volume control being left
alone 98% of the time...
  In contrast, the 564 Omni which resides on the #2 bench just lost a
transistor in the final <sibling rivalry?>... No warning, suddenly was not
making much power and the display began to blink, then the rig locked up... It
is winging its way to visit Dolly Parton Pkwy. as I type this...The amp to the
#1 bench is being worked on and I wanted some smoke for 80 meters...
  I slid the MK-V in place of the Omni and hooked it up to the #2 amp... Got on
80 meters and sniffed around for some DX...Hey, where is my spectrum display?
What, you mean I have to tune the whole band to just find where the action
is... Jeez, what is this 1806?  Where's my horse and buggy?

  Boy, do we get spoiled fast... I miss my spectrum display... I miss my silent
qsk... I miss not knowing exactly how narrow I have it dialed down... I miss
not being able to see my pass band adjustment by looking at the screen... I
really miss not being able to hear two bands at the same time...  It didn't
take long before I was back on the Orion, barefoot..

  A Titan III is on it's way next week to join the O2... The current amp will
get moved to the #2 bench after repairs..  I hope to get spoiled by qro qsk
with the new setup...

  denny / k8do