Re: [TenTec] Corsaair II Problem Question???

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsaair II Problem Question???
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:40:04 -0500
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:00 -0400, OTAKEBI@aol.com wrote:
> I am getting bad signal reports on my Corsair II.
> Was told of a staccato sound to the transmit audio signal.
> I thought of RF or mic problems.
> I used another rig to listen to the transmit signals and I could hear what
> best could be described as a slight gurgling sound and you could really  tell
> it was taking place on sustained words.
> I was getting full output into a good antenna with flat SWR and ALC light
> was blinking and no speech process.
> Tried a different mic same problem.
> Went to my OMNI V and it was clean with good audio.
> So, I think we can eliminate mic problems and RF.
> I am using the same power supply on both rigs so I guess we can also  exclude
> that as a problem.
> Power supply is an Astron RS-35M and is grounded.
> Drawing 18 Amps tops at 90 watts on 10 meters so that is in spec.
> Although, it could be FM'ing.
> Power cable???
> Any ideas before I dig in?
> Thanks,
> Dan N4VET

I'll put out my standard broadside. Works for many vintage radios.
Tighten the board mounting screws to improve the grounds. Over time the
PC board material relaxes under pressure (the definition of "plastic")
and takes pressure off those connections.

Then acquire some DeoxIT and apply a quarter drop to each cable
connector pin and move the connector a bit to rub corrosion away. Where
the cable connectors are insulation displacement type the wire
connection might need similar attention or a drop of solder.

A poor connection at the power connector or fuse holders can cause
voltage drops. Its probably practical to measure the voltage at the
radio on some accessory jack, like that for the external VFO to see if
the voltage is dropping unreasonably from power connections.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,