Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of OMNI VI Opt.3-Help,Suggestions Please!!

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of OMNI VI Opt.3-Help,Suggestions Please!!
From: "Mike Brown" <k9mi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:49:25 -0000
Hi Art

Just your average, run of the mill cable will work. That is usually the
standard, male 25 for the rig, female db 9 on the other end of the cable for
the pc. If this is all new to you, a trip to Best Buy, etc. should get you
what you want. Just tell them you need a RS 232 cable, with male on the DB
25 end and female on the DB 9 end. Your radio will probably already be setup
and radio to go. With the rig and computer off, install the cable. This
probably isn't a "have to", but I like to have things shut off when
installing devices. N1MM has a Setup area, there you should be able to find
your Omni, and tell the software it's on com 1. There are some settings that
may need to be changed, but lets not get into that, since this is all new to
you. More then likely, those settings will be correct anyway. I didn't
notice before because I downloaded N1MM for contesting, but it does have a
DXpedition mode. It may or may not keep track of your Dxcc, Was, etc. If
what you need is a daily loggere, you may want to go to another program.
But, it's hard to beat the price of N1MM! If the comport and radio are setup
right, you should see the radio frequency in one of the N1MM logger's
windows.

There are a lot of things you can do with interfacing radios to computers,
but since you are new to this, lets go one step at a time. Since you only
have the one comport on the pc, when the software asks what comport number,
select com 1.

73, Mike K9MI