Re: [TenTec] vertical dipole

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] vertical dipole
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:18:34 -0700
Yeh Rob, seems you just can't have your cake and eat it too.

If 10m is really important, it would probably be better to shorten the
vertical (described in L.B.'s paper) to 2x 4m.

In the meantime I've decided to separate the task into two antennas.
I'm going to pull 40m out of the scenario and make a dedicated antenna for
that because 40's my favorite band and I hate to compromise there.  I'll use
a second antenna for 20-10.  It will probably be this new Swedish vertical.

This leaves a hole in my plan (30m), but to be honest, for some strange
reason I have never worked much 30m anyway.

I want to go away from Openwire for my verticals.  There are a couple of
reasons for this:

1. I hate tuning matchboxes (especially in contests) if I don't have to use
them.  This new Swedish vertical gives me 5 bands with no compromise and
doesn't need a matchbox.

2. I have never managed to find a second really good high power symmetrical
matchbox (at any price).  I have spent a small fortune trying but nothing
compares to my BIG Annecke and they are scarce as bird-doo in a kuku clock
(and you don't see that every day).

On the low bands, because I work both CW and SSB, you almost need openwire
to get good bandwidth anyway, so I'll stick with the big horizontal dipole
fed with openwire there.  I guess I should call it a horizontal "doublet" as
L.B. recommended.

I have some unused space in the yard, way out front, so there are no
technical reasons (just the XYL to convince) not to put up two antennas for
40 thru 10.

Bottom Line, though:  If you only can have or want to have just one antenna
for 40 thru 10 meters, the best thing going is a vertical dipole fed with
openwire and having legs of 6m per side.

73
Rick