Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Triton 540 Output SSB output question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Triton 540 Output SSB output question
From: "Scott / W4PJ" <w4pj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:00:24 -0500
Only 40-50 watts? check the ALC.
After that check impedance of your mic.  I once had an old carbon mic
element tha just crumbled... try a different mic.  That's what I'd do first.
Heck, I used a mic from a Cobra CB once in a pinch and it worked fine.

Typically I could get 85-90 watts on 10m phone and over 100 watts on 40m and
80m.

I still have my 540 station.  252M PS, External VFO, I built a Homebrew copy
of their CW filter on perfboard and the rig has the factory noiseblanker -
that actually works!  Plus the xtals for all of 10m.  A Shure 526T mic works
fine kept low on the gain.  Homebrew semi-automatic Bug on CW -  I had a
great time with that rig as my one and only.

I also have a second 540 transciever with a #10 faceplate that recieves but
no xmit.  Dirty bandswitch took out the finals, I think.  And a 262G Power
supply that lost all it's smoke.  Spare parts <G>

I haven't used the rig in more than a year.  It's all sitting under a dust
cover.  I oughta get it out and chase the electrons around the cage but I'm
in the process of restoring my version of "This Old House."  Not enough
hours or days for everything lately.

I used that rig as my main rig for years... confirmed 256 DXCC Countries
with it running only 100 Watts to a Butternut vertical.

I also could turn it down to milliwatts.  I had an old Simpson 260 meter
that I changed the faceplate calibration to read 0-5 Watts using a pick-off
diode and was tuning around one Saturday on QRP and ran into a friend of
mine Bob N4BP who was working a contest.  After giving him a point, I got a
caller in the contest and before I knew it I was working a pileup QRP in the
contest.  Afterwards I turned in my logs and wouldn't you know it, I won
multi-band single-op for 4-Land QRP.  Wallpaper is cool.  Alot of my
wallpaper came from that rig.

I guess that answers that contesting thread we had a while ago...

Model 540 is a fun rig and quiet... the external VFO allows dual recieve
too.  With a second recieve antenna jack and slide switch it's super easy to
use on 80M with a Beverage or Ewe antenna.  Stout amp relay for using old
Heathkit or Yaesu amplifiers that can handle the 120V relay voltages.  Great
rig.

Only drawback these days is no WARC or 160m.

Every now and then I think about selling them to somebody who would take
them out for a spin regularly.  Then I think again.  Maybe someday.  I'm
thinking $500 for the whole package including the T-T 6Meter transverter.

One complete station 540 plus VFO plus Power Supply with meter plus Desk
mike plus 6m xvrtr, Plus 2nd Xcvr no xmit but pristine faceplate and 2nd
Power supply smoked.  Getcher own bug.<G>   What say?  $500 Too much?  Too
little?  Just right?

PEACE
Scott / W4PJ