Re: [TenTec] Orion questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion questions
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:48:29 -0600
Hi Marcus,

Glad to hear you up here.

I don't think the bandwidth can be adjusted up past 3.9Khz unless the PBT
filter will allow it.

IN SSB,  that is very wide of course.

I am able to use an old amplifier with the Orion as well,  but I use the
auto tuner in between.  The older amplifiers depended on the Tube Plate
tanks to match the load,  the new transistor finals only look for 50 ohms so
the auto tuner is required to match those amplifiers.

I would not operate the Orion over it's rated 100 watts,  The finals will
not last as long.  If you have the equipment, you can monitor the output
signal with test tones and set up the proper mic gain and power setting for
perfect audio on transmit.  It can be set with the ALC light but not as
good.  I use a station monitor scope, but I don't get to that level of audio
band width,  I'm only checking to make sure the linear is not overdriving or
flat topping on the SSB wave forms and the linear is not distorted using the
trapezoid pattern.

The roofing filters make a difference especially on CW.  with some skill the
SSB can be narrowed down to 1Khz but the audio is only copyable, not
quality, but it sure helps in the SSB contests.

Hope this helps some and hope to QSO with you.

Best 73's
rich
K5SF