[TenTec] Fixed BFO freq = Fixed Beat Note

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Fixed BFO freq = Fixed Beat Note
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:36:22 -1000
There has been a lot of discussion about Omni's 1st IF filters, and the CW audio note that we hear using them. I want to state the situation in a way that might help understand it.

When we have a filter with sharp skirts and high rejection outside the filter band pass, only the signals inside that bandpass will be heard. This is used to make a receiver hear only one sideband and when the filter bandwidth is very small it also limits the signals we hear to that very narrow bandwidth. But what determines which sideband we hear and what audio note is produced by signals that make it through this filter? The BFO frequency relative to the filter bandpass frequency. If the BFO frequency were variable we could set it so that we listen to any audio note we like, or even listen to the opposite sideband, or both sidebands. I can do this with my Hammarlund Super-Pro and my Kenwood TS-440. Of course these radios are lacking in other kinds of performance compared to the Omni VI.

In Ten-Tec Omni VI the BFO frequency is fixed, for any given mode, using crystal oscillators. So for a narrow filter with a specific center frequency, only a specific narrow range of audio tones will be heard. Why not make the BFO variable so that we can adjust to any audio not we desire? There are a number of reasons. If the BFO were adustable, the frequency display would be incorrect (except when the BFO is just at the right frequency) or some kind of compensation would have to be made to the digital readout, or to the 1st local oscillator (VFO) frequency, without changing the displayed frequency. To accomplish this would require more control control loops of more oscillators, more complexity and likely more phase noise. Another method (which is used in the Omni VI second IF for the PBT) is to mix a single oscillator in at two different places, one converting in one direction (down to 6.3 MHz in the Omni PBT) and the other converting back in the opposite direction (back up to 9 MHz in the Omni VI PBT scheme) This also adds complexity and more possibilities for images and birdies, as well as the noise in the additional oscillator.

If we were willing to give up some accuracy in the frequency readout of the Omni VI (say for instance when not operating close to band edges) we could just bend the BFO a little bit and get any audio note we like. Perhaps with some firmware modification, and some interconnection with the RIT control, we could make an upgrade that could give us control over the audio beat note, without giving up frequency readout accuracy. I'm not ready to take this challenge on right now. Maybe somebody else will, and Inrad can sell the kit.

I hope someone finds this enlightening.

DE N6KB