Re: [TenTec]omni-d (genealogy) - the 580 Delta

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec]omni-d (genealogy) - the 580 Delta
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:05:11 -0800 (PST)
Ah yes, the first IF at 11-11.5 MHz. The 580 Delta is
an interesting design because the first LO is fixed,
the band crystal were chosen such that the 1st mixer's
output was in the 11-11.5 MHz range, the second mixer
was then fed the ~5.2-4.7 MHz PTO signal to arrive the
6.3 MHz IF. It was indeed a clever way to do things.
And as Steve points out it is the first (I believe)
Ten Tec Radio that did away with the RX preselector.

In addition to the audio AGC it's other significant
shortcoming was the lack of a RF gain control, while
receiver itself was decently quiet you couldn't do
anything about a noisy band like 80M in the summer
time. It also seemed to be a bit lacking in gain (not
so much sensitivity) on 10M. I really noticed this
when I used it as an IF for my DEMI 222MHz
transverter, the Corsairs did/do better as transverter
IF's for that reason. It was however the radio (along
with the DEMI transverter) that started me on my path
of using all transverters for all of my V/UHF weak
signal work. The signals were so much cleaner on the
Delta/DEMI combo than on any of the JA multi modes
that I was using on 50/144/432 at the time. Those JA
multi modes radios now live primarily on FM.

And not start a big fight ;) I always thought that the
proper nomenclature is "580 Delta" not "Delta 580". At
least the front panel lettering of my Delta is "580
Delta", though the manual cover is the other way
around...

Duane
N9DG