[TenTec] New Orion Firmware

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New Orion Firmware
From: "Robert Carroll" <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:11:31 -0500
I used the new firmware overnight in the 160m cw with no crashes, quite a
difference from the previous version.  The new RF gain control arrangement
seems very effective, though if anyone can explain just what it does, I
would appreciate it.  I have read that if combines hardware and RF gain, but
have also read it affects AGC parameters.  I continue to hear some clicking
in the right audio channel, more I think than with the previous firmware.
Also in listening carefully to SSB I can hear some  slight rasp in the right
channel audio (main receiver on both channels) which I am certain was not
there using the previous firmware version.  I suspect this is related to the
click.

I also have one problem which is easy to clear.  When I turn the rig off and
later turn it back on, I find that the indicated AGC type is where I left
it, but the AGC is actually off.  Pressing the desired mode restores it.  I
had not encountered this behavior until the new firmware and am wondering if
this is a new or previously reported defect and if anyone else has seen it.

Bob W2WG