Re: [TenTec] NAR filter in Omni VI

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NAR filter in Omni VI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:28:41 -1000

I don't see how changing the filter will affect clicks. Clicks are generated by rise times in the keying circuit. Others here can respond to that issue better than I.

Many rigs key the transmitter in CW by keying a DC offset to the balanced mixer, unbalancing it and letting carrier through. This carrier then passes through the the 2.4 kHz ( or other bandwidth not far from this ) IF filter that is used in SSB TX to select only one of the sidebands coming out of the balanced mixer. This filter limits the bandwidth of the SSB signal, and if the keyed carrier CW signal has clicks it will also limit the bandwidth of the clicks.

Using the IF filter to limit the bandwicth of the clicks is a sort of band-aid approach to patch a problem that should not be there in the first place. Proper rise and fall times and shapes of the keying envelope are the right way to do it.

DE N6KB