Re: [TenTec] Why is the Jupiter Better?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Why is the Jupiter Better?
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:53:35 +0000
There's a vast difference between a given radios "update lifespan" and the
radio's actual lifespan. The first easily described, when the firmware is
acceptable to as many users as possible within the limitations of the original
hardware and the market for new units is still sufficently large to merit
further development and refinement.
It is inevitable that software/firmware development will cease at some point.
However, if there's a demand you can pretty well assume some enterprising soul
can and will take up the burden of further development.
 The second comes when the unit breaks and suitable replacement parts are no
longer available. Whether that time is long or short depends on factors far
beyond the equipment manufacturers control, and often beyond the device maker's
control as well.  I have little trouble finding most replacement solid state
devices for equipment that's well over thirty years old - although I may well
have to do some minor circuit modification to make it work as it should.
Fortunately, it appears exact or near exact components for my pet rigs should
be available for quite a while.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E