[TenTec] Re: was Contesting now hi end rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: was Contesting now hi end rigs
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:12:43 -0400
KB2M wrote:
>I really don't get their marketing strategy.....

        I believe it is fairly simple.  Make outrageous unsubstantiated claims
and hope you reel a few suckers in...after all, there's one born every minute.
Fortunately ARRL, RSGB and Sherwood Engineering all have the capability to
shine the light of truth on the marketing hype that some manufacturers seem to
spread as part of their marketing strategy of deception.

        Back on the car analogy, here's the BMW M3 CSL I was referring to.  I
almost bought one in '95 because they actually sold for less than the normal
street version.  Given their status as collector's cars now, I wish I had!

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m3_ltw.htm

To be a heavyweight on the racetrack, you must first be a lightweight.

Did you ever see a racer with a back seat or a spare tire? These items add weight, so they are removed.

In 1995, BMW produced a limited number of lightweight M3's. The factory started with an <http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m3_e36.htm>E36 M3 and then removed practically everything not needed for competition. True to their sporting past, these M3's were dubbed CSL's - for Coupe Sport Light - and they were reminiscent of the <http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/batmobile.htm>famous racing CSL's of the '70s.

73, Bill W4ZV