Re: [TenTec] Opinions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:26:50 +0000
Well, everyone has an opinion, subject to change, but so far my opinion of the
IC7800 remains the same as it has been since day one.

I have looked at what specs Icom has released on the IC-7800 and they confirm
my original opinion that the intended market is NOT the Amateur market but
rather agency communications and monitoring.  A combination of the new ship has
to have new equipment, plus intelligence (?) agency spook work, if you will,
with heavy emphasis on audio and possibly digital operation - but with no
emphasis at all on CW. Or on the other very narrow band modes.

W8JI's results square quite well with the other IC7800  tests/review's floating
around the internet, and they all tend to confirm my opinion.  That does not
mean it would be useless to every segment of the Amateur Radio Service - but it
will be rather limited under many circumstances.  And frankly, the very
tentative specs for the new Vertex look much like more of the same to me.

We shall have to wait and see who adopts and adapts to the '7800 and the FT9000
and what success they have. But I rather suspect both new rigs will be
favorites among those who have to have the newest, biggest, and most expensive
when they check into their every Sunday afternoon retirees ragchew - and can
afford it.

By the same token a rig whose vital specs seem much the same as a pair of
IC751's receivers in a box with one transmitter plus some DSP circuitry does
not seem to me to be all that likely to be a great favorite with either
contesters or DXers.  Not after the first few weeks, at any rate.   And that's
my quarter of a real on the subject.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E