[TenTec] 80 meter loops

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 80 meter loops
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:21:10 -0600
TT'ers,

My own experience is with a single vertical 40 M loop fed 1/4 wave down from the apex and built over the radial field of my 160M 4-square which was built on a swamp. Pretty near ideal conditions for a vertical radiator. The bottom wire of the loop was just high enough so the deer could walk under. The first contact was an Asiatic Russian who gave me a 20 over report - I was running 100 watts. I very seldom had to call any EU, or VK/ZL more than once. I'm at a new QTH now and would like to put up some more vertical loops, probably a couple of them in 2 element, switchable form. I won't have the radial field or the swamp to enhance things, although I believe my ground is above average.

Has anyone here ever compared a 2 element parasitic vertical loop array, apex at 40-45', to a shorty-forty at "usual" heights, say 60-70', or higher, say 110'?

73,

Ron - WA9IRV