Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion

To: Chris <christopher_an@sympatico.ca>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:30:23 +0000
Hi Chris: I'm sure you will get all sorts of suggestions for this or that
"wonderwire" or "wonder beam" but the fact is that on 75/80 only a gain
(directional) antenna will outperform a simple dipole. You can't get more out
than you put in - and a well matched and resonant dipole is around 95 percent
efficent.

Can you squeeze in a 90 foot "dipole?" I have had quite good results with an
Alpha Delta DX-EE and its "all band" brother the DX-CC. They are, by field
strength measurement, a quarter dB or so down on 75 (expected since I had not
trimmed it and it was resonant just below 3.5 mHz) and gave nothing away on 40.

Like all "dipoles" the pattern is more like a puffball mushroom than the
conventional "inner tube" pattern in the antenna books. Still, I manage to work
the 80 Meter DX I can hear in this noisy residential area.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E