RE: [TenTec] Corsair II to Collins 30L-1 amp -- any issues?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, "'N4EKV'" <adam@n4ekv.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Corsair II to Collins 30L-1 amp -- any issues?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:31:12 +0100
Hi Adam,

Ken's answer was an outstanding explanation of what all you might
expect, in general, but you didn't get any specific answers to
your questions (from anybody).  Perhaps nobody here runs that
exact combination.

It's been 30 years since I used the 30L-1 amp (I ran it in the
Berlin MARS station while serving in the U.S. Army).
I also owned a Corsair II many years ago and many Ten-Tecs in the
past 30 years.

AS I RECALL, the Corsair II had both options (Open Collector and
built in Amp-keying relay).

Collins was one of the first to start using the RCA phono
plugs/jacks for radio interconnection.
Most vendors still use them today.  I "assume" the 30L-1 uses the
RCA phono jack for it's TR-Relay switching, though it might be
simply a terminal with two screws.  If so, there's no need to
worry about polarity because you will have to key it with the
transceiver's internal relay.

The problem is, the "TR Relay" on the 30L-1 uses negative voltage
switching and not +12v as most modern amps use.  This prohibits
using open collector switching (as deployed in modern
transceivers).  Of course you could swap out the amp's internal
TR-Relay for a 12v version and then use open collector switching.

An additional problem you will have is that, in CW mode, the
Ten-Tec switches faster than the 30L-1.  This can cause "hot
switching", which, over time, "might" lead to burning the relay
contacts. (We used to use foot switches to avoid hot-switching in
CW mode - as Ken said, there should be no problem in SSB mode).
Usually, you notice the relay contacts have been burnt in that
the receiver's signal strength is significantly lower than usual
(almost like having no antenna connected).  You can clean the
relay's contacts with a burnishing tool and it will work fine
again, but over the years, the "mean time between cleaning" will
get shorter and shorter.

The best way to set it up (for both modes, but especially for CW)
without adding any external boxes is to use the Corsair II's
external Linear Keying relay (NOT Open Collector keying) and then
add some "Delay" such that the 30L-1's own TR relay does not try
to follow the CW keying.  In other words, run Semi-Break-In.

For SSB, you should encounter no problems.  For CW you might get
some problems, over time.

The safest way to run the combination would be to use some sort
of external switching box which keys the amp about 10 to 20 ms
before giving the first "dit" to the Corsair, and of course you
still need to add in the delay.  I don't know what's available on
the U.S. market (other than the very expensive QSK-5 from
Ameritron).  I have a home-brew unit which I built in one
evening.  I've been using it for 20+ years.  It was designed by
DL7AV and published in the German Amateur Radio Club's magazine
back in November 1980.  It can key amps with either positive or
negative voltage keying circuits (using open collector for both,
so no additional delay due to relay switching time). I still have
the article if you need it, though it's in German.  The schematic
is in English (hi).  I think the total cost was about $10.

Ten-Tec has never included "ALC" feedback from the transceiver to
the linear so simply ignore that connection - leave it open on
the 30L-1.

SPECIFIC CONNECTIONS:

- Connect the Antenna to the 30L-1's "RF-Out"
- Connect a jumper coax between the Corsair's ANT and the 30L-1's
"RF-In"
- Connect a shielded cable (coax or a simple one from Radio Shack
designed for audio use) with RCA phono plugs at both ends between
the Corsair's RCA phono jack for keying external amps and the
30L-1's RCA phono jack for keying its internal TR-Relay.  If the
30L-1 has terminals instead of a jack, cut the plug off one end
of the jumper cable.
- No connection to the 30L-1's ALC jack.

Hope this helps.

73
Rick