Re: [TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:18:07 +0000
Pricing of any imported product depends on the demand and the exchange rate.
Last spring the exchange rate between the dollar and the yen was 138:1. The
last time I looked the rate was 108:1. And it is expected to fall further,
perhaps into the 90 to the dollar range it was in when Bill Clinton assumed the
presidency. That projected change in the yen/dollar ratio is the reason so many
Japanese car makers are building plants here, by the way.

The original estimate for the IC7800 was in the $7-8,000 range; and some of my
European friends estimated the price in the 10-12,000 Euro range.  Logically,
the estimated price should increase by at least 25 percent to account for the
devaluation of the dollar. So the final price, and particuarly the street
price, of the '7800 is very much in question.

Of course, rigs such as the FT1000-Field, the PRO II, and many others are
selling at far below last spring's price. That could indicate a lack of demand;
or perhaps they are clearing the pipeline for a new series of rigs; or maybe
there's some other reason. But whatever - if you have your heart set on a JA
rig they probably won't get much cheaper.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E