[TenTec] Software releases

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Software releases
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:30:35 -0500
K5UJ wrote:
I have a question:  How come all you guys rush to load new software releases
as soon as they come out?  I work in the world of software, where everyone
knows that Rule 1 about vendor new versions, is to wait at least a couple of
weeks so the post-shipment bugs can come out and the patches/corrections
identified.  If I owned an Orion, I'd never load an update immediately after
release.

Why not Rob? Since you work in software, you should know it is
also very simple to reload an earlier version if there is a problem.
I've had my Orion since August 21 which came with version 1.356. I've
downloaded every subsequent revision (now 1.366) and have never needed
to reload an earlier version. I wish I could say the same for CT (contest software), where I do run several versions behind. I could
see your point if the reload was extremely complex or time-consuming,
but Orion updates are very simple and take on the order of 10 minutes
total, so it is really not a big deal. Where's the beef?

73, Bill W4ZV