Re: [TenTec] Power Mite Odyssey

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power Mite Odyssey
From: "Winston F. Jones" <winjones@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:04:22 -0500
This story illustrates a simple fact: Inexpensive rigs will do more than
anything to get young people into ham radio.
As a 16-year-old novice back in 1960, my rig was a homebrew 1625 final,
built with the help of my elmer, and an old used Heath AR-3 receiver. Total
cost was about $50, including two  Texas Crystals 40-meter rocks and a
folded dipole I built from salvaged TV twin lead. It took me all summer, at
$1 per day, to earn the money.
That was ham radio at its best! Nothing can compare to the thrill of working
that first station. My Ten-Tec Jupiter is fun to operate today, but not
nearly as exciting as my old $50 novice setup. I'm sure there's lots of
stories like mine out there.
73, Winston  K4CWQ