Re: [TenTec] Latest BPL events...

To: <geraldj@isunet.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Latest BPL events...
From: "Mike Hyder --N4NT--" <N4NT_Mike.Hyder@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:47:44 -0400
Funny...  Over the last 3 years we've had problems due to no neutral from
the pole into the house.  The last time we had very few appliances/lights,
etc. powered on.  One floor fan sounded like a jet plane.  I measured the
voltage across one side and it shot up to 170 VAC when the refrigerator
compressor started and loaded down the other side.  Like a shot I pulled the
main switchs to my two distribution panels.

Both times the culprit was a squirrel.  It seems those critters like to eat
aluminum wires but they won't eat copper.  Our power company said that if I
could find it, they would replace the run from the pole to my house with
copper wire.  The trouble is that I can't find hard drawn copper to use in a
triplex.  If anyone knows where I might find it, please let me know.

For now, if you have voltage fluctuations be very alert to the possibility
of squirrels...

Jerry, I've considered making up a little circuit which will rectify the
voltage from both sides of the line and then take those two outputs to a
voltmeter.  If there is an imbalance, the meter would show it right away.
Is there a more common method to do this?

73, Mike -N4NT-