Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...
From: "Dudley Hurry" <jhurry@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:24:23 -0500
To George and All,

George - I read your first email on the conservation of energy and agree in
part, but my experience with non-resonant antennas has proven that a
resonant antenna will nearly always be a more efficient radiator than a
non-resonant antenna.  Case in point.   80 meter dipole, 5 feet off the
ground, will transmit much better than my 8 foot whip on the rear of my car
with an tuner.  Mainly because of the loss (heat) being consumed in the
tuner and feed line.   Take a non-resonant antenna connected to a tuner with
1000 watts and feel the tuner/feed line and even the antenna itself will
become warm or even hot, due to system mismatches..   It will still work,
but at a much lower efficiency..

Just my experience.

Thanks and 73's,
Dudley