[TenTec] Hercules III / Mark Erbaugh

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules III / Mark Erbaugh
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:48:14 EDT
I'm not quite sure why the Hercules II was discontinued, but maybe it had to
do with the price at the time. I think people didn't want to pay $1500 + $795
for the P/S when they could get a legal limit + amp or even a Centurion for
less money. The transistors for the Herc II are still readily available and not
too expensive (MRF 458).

The Hercules 1 (model 444) was the one discontinued because the transistors
became extremely hard to find and very expensive. I believe the only source now
is
somewhere in the U.K. (MRF 421). I think its time to bring back the Hercules
as demand for solid state amps is growing. But anything over 500 watts is
still going to be rather pricey. Tokyo Hy-Power is coming out with a 1KW solid
state  at around
$3000. depending on the Yen value. 73. Todd