[TenTec] Tnx es my 2 cts ARRL Test Equipment

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tnx es my 2 cts ARRL Test Equipment
From: dufferjames@hotmail.com (James Duffer)
Date: Thu Jun 26 08:51:45 2003
snip
>This is no different than the mileage figure methods stated with
>automobiles.  35 MPG on the highway, 25 MPG in town.  Your mileage may vary
>depending on driving conditions.
>
>Same true for receives.  They can test them all to the same set of
>standards
>but your results will most likely be different.

Yes of course, because of differences in the receivers.

>(A) The manufactures typically test their products so as to be competitive.
>(B) The ARRL performs tests which is a very good attempt to equate all of
>them.
>(C) Someone's on the air evaluation.
>
>We should accept:  (A) will never = (B) or (B) will never = (A)  But (C) is
>always "opinion".
>
>Opinion: 1. a belief not based on certainty but on what seems true or
>probable.  2. an evaluation, estimation, etc.  3. formal expert judgment.

Now that is a good one.  We know what an "expert" is, or at least as it was
explained to me while serving in the U.S. Army.  You simply break the word
expert down into its two parts, "ex" and "pert" (pronounced spurt).  Now the
definition becomes obvious "ex" is a "has-been" and a "spurt" is a drip
under pressure.  But seriously what is the basis of "formal expert
judgement" ? Is it too much different that an evaluation or belief based on
fact?  Lets not get this too convoluted by bringing in academia logic into
the picture (fuzzy logic).

73, Jim, wd4air